Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thing #8

After exploring the different examples of wikis, I have a better understanding of how to use them in the classroom. In the past, the only wiki I knew about was Wikipedia. I knew that people could contribute to the information on there, but that is all I knew. I didn't realize how useful Wikis could be in the classroom.

A lot of the wiki examples were made by high school students. It seems like using wikis with older students seems easier, but I realize now that they can be used with younger students also. A good way to use wikis with younger students is by having the students come up with the ideas and adults do the posting.

On the Primary Math wiki, teachers share math projects students have done. This would be a helpful resource for teachers as well as students. Families are able to get involved with using wikis by sharing their memories of school on the Schools in the Past wiki. I was really impressed by the Salute to Seuss wiki where multiple classes got involved by sharing their projects on Dr. Seuss books.

I would like to share what I learned about wikis with my teammates at school so we could put together a first grade wiki to share our ideas and help our students feel more connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment