Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing #22

My Facebook Page

I have been using Facebook since I was accepted to Texas A&M. When I joined, only students with a college email could sign up. Now anyone is able to join Facebook. I have really enjoyed keeping up with old friends from college, high school, and elementary school. If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know what a lot of my friends were doing with their lives. I prefer using Facebook over MySpace because I feel like it has less junk on it. Now facebook is starting to get more of the junk MySpace has, but it is optional.

Most students have cell phone now, so instead of banning them, we need to start making use of them in the classroom. The same is true for Facebook. If the students have it, we might as well use it. If we are going to use Facebook in the classroom we will need to be very cautious as you could get into some sticky situations. A way to use Facebook in the classroom would be to create a group for a class and have students post a comment about a topic. Then the students could respond to each other's post.

Now this would not work as well for younger students because they probably don't have a cell phone or Facebook in first grade, but the parents might. You could use Facebook as a way to keep the parents connected. There could be a page for the class where you can post pictures and events happening at school. If I did this I would probably have a separate professional profile. I would want to keep my work and social life separate.

1 comment:

  1. You are obviously a technology native. I did not utilize Facebook until I took this course a few years ago. Now, of course, I am hopelessly addicted. It would have been nice to have in college to keep up with friends, but then again, my studies would have probably suffered (O:

    ReplyDelete